How can I start slowing down?
Embracing the Slow creed means rethinking your whole approach to life.
But everyone has to start somewhere, so here are five tips for decelerating:
- Leave holes in the diary rather than striving to fill every moment with activity. Easing the pressure on your time will help you to slow down.
- Set aside a time of day to turn off all the technology that keeps us buzzing – phones, computers, pagers, email, television, radio. Use the break to sit quietly somewhere, alone with your thoughts. Or try meditating.
- Make time for at least one hobby that slows you down, such as reading, painting, gardening or yoga.
- Eat supper at the table instead of balancing it on your lap it in front of the TV.
- Always monitor your speed. If you’re doing something more quickly than you need to simply out of habit, then take a deep breath and slow down.